Friday, September 25, 2026

Different Things

From the early days of AI being discussed by relatively "normal" people, I have suggested that it was misnamed.  

I have had a layman's understanding of the various permutations of AI for quite some time.  There was AGI which was Artificiial General Intelligence.  It was generally understood to be when a machine was as smart or capable of learning as most any human.  Then there was ASI which was Artificial Super Intelligence.  That one was understood as when a machine was as smart as all of humanity.

My issue with the naming early on was that if it was an actual intelligence, calling it "artificial" was not particularly informative.  I suggested that a better name/description would be Manufactured Intelligence. I still think my name is more accurate.  More importantly, my suggestion and Trump's idiocy are totally different things.

Artificial Intelligence, as we now know it, will not be changed by merely calling it Super Intelligence.  No clarity will be gained by observers or users.  The actual machine entities will not be made more powerfiul or smarter or easier to use or more intuitive or a better investment by playing stupid name games at the governmental level.  

I suppose there might well be those who are not paying close attention that could be convinced that Felon47 and his band of incompetents were actually doing something.  They aren't. What is being done is analogous to a non-swimmer flailing in deep water.  They are seriously trying to obscure the fact that they have no desire and no ability to understand anything at all about the probable longterm effects of a Machine Intelligence.  The goal is to protect themselves while they leave you playing the role of the canary in the coal mine.

Why are you alright with that??

No comments: